The Triglav National Park is the only national park in Slovenia. It is located in the south west of Slovenia, close to the border with Austria and Italy.
This post is my preparation for a 1-day hike (1 day to get there, 1 day of hiking, 1 day to get back). I will update it after I did the hike, but please keep in mind that I might now know everything first-hand I write about.
How to get there
From Munich, you can get to Bovec in 4-5 hours.
You can also get to the Ljubljana airport (LJU) and continue your journey to Bled or Tolmin.
All three towns are likely a good start for getting to the Triglav National Park.
Best time to visit
I'm not sure. Probably not in winter. I guess from April to October after looking at the Climate diagram of Ljubljana's?
The Soča-Trail (German: Soca-Weg, Slovene: Soška Pot) is stage 24 of the Alpe Adria Trail (see map). Usually people go it from Trenta to Bovec. It is about 24 km and about 6:30 h in total.
The complete trail is almost all the time next to the Soča river.
I first planned to go this in reverse, but it turns out that driving to the source form Bovec by taxi and hicking back is most practical for such a short trip.
The source of the Soča river (German: Soča-Quelle, Slovene: Izvir Soče) is at 46°24'44.6"N 13°43'26.0"E. It is the starting point of this route. It is number 14 on the map.
- Dom Trenta (German: Trenta Nationalparkhaus & Museum) seems to be a "popular" museum.
- Gostilna Metoja could be a place to eat / sleep.
The Small Soča Gorge
(German: Kleine Soča-Tröge, Slovene: Mala korita Soče)
The Great Soča Gorge
The Great Soča Gorge (German: Große Soča-Tröge, Slovene: Velika korita Soče) is between 8 and 7.
Just before the Kršovec Gorge is a bridge at 46°19'59.3"N 13°35'33.6"E (Number 4). The town Kal Koritnica is nearby on the north side of the river. Even closer to the Kršovec Gorge (German: Kršovec-Schlucht) on the north side of the river is an old ropeway station (Slovene: Žičnica Golobar).
Koritnica and Soča Rivers
The river Koritnica (Slovene: Koritnica) empties into the river Soča (also called Isonzo) at 46°19'48.7"N 13°34'32.0"E.
The next steps are easy.
- The bridge at 46°19'29.6"N 13°36'15.1"E at 5 in the image. Cross it to get north of the river.
- The bridge at 46°19'29.6"N 13°33'12.6"E is nr 3 in the image.
- At 46°19'29.6"N 13°33'12.6"E is a bridge (2 in the image).
Possible places to stay:
- Gostišče Hedvika Hedvika Mlekuž s.p.
- Kamp "Liza" Maksim Mlekuž s.p.
- Hotel Kanin
- Hostel Bovec
Possible parking spots:
- 46°19'26.7"N 13°33'10.6"E
- Wherever you stay at Bovec
|Where is ...?||Wo ist ...?||Kje je ...?|
|Soča source||Soča-Quelle||Izvir Soče|
|Great Soča Gorge||Große Soča-Tröge||Velika korita Soče|
|Small Soča Gorge||Kleine Soča-Tröge||Mala korita Soče|
|bus stop||Bushaltestelle||avtobusna postaja|
|Thank you||Danke||Hvala vam|
We planned to arrive at Bovec in the evening of Friday, hike on Saturday and go back on Sunday. The Bovec hostel includes breakfast. Quite a bit of the following will just stay in the car.
- Food: (Friday evening, Saturday lunch and evening, Sunday lunch)
- Water (at least 1.5L for the hike)
- Hiking shoes
- Dry shoes you can leave in the car
- Rain coat / Rain trousers
- Sleeping clothes
- Dry clothes for the car in case you get really wet
- Backpack for lunch, water
- Money (e.g. for having dinner on Saturday)
- Camera (loaded batteries)
- Smartphone + loading cable
- Map (the ones from the blog)
- Sleeping bag
- Hygene (toothpaste, brush, shampoo)
- Card game
- You need a vignette which costs 15 Euro for 7 days (source)
- For Austria might have to buy a vignette and/or road charge.
- The Vintgar Gorge (Slovene: Soteska Vintgar) is 6 km from the Lake Bled.
- Savica Waterfall looks nice.
- Tolminer Klammen are at the very south of the Triglav National Park.
- Evamaria Wecker: Slowenien. 53 Touren zwischen Julischen Alpen und Adriaküste.
- Bergwelten.com: Elevation profile