It's new years eve and - as always - I try to finish some things and have some plans for next year.
Review of 2016
This year was pretty awesome. I went to a summer school in Greifswald where I got to know a lot of nice people. I participated in a wind surfing and in a sailing course. I hiked the GR 20, finished my first via ferrata (Alpspitz-Ferrata), went to the Salewa-Klettersteig and the Tegelberg Klettersteig near Füssen.
In December, I've got the chance to go to NIPS 2016
Here are some other mentionable facts:
- ML-KA is still active.
- I have 15 838 points on StackOverflow and reached 5.1 million people with my posts (source).
- I wrote 53 articles for this blog (including this one) in 2016. A couple of them might be interesting for a very specific audience (SVMs, classifier comparison, machine learning glossary).
- I've uploaded 835 files to Wikipedia Commons in 2016 (source). My uploads to Wikipedia Commons are about 3 GiB in total now. On commons, I made 4414 edits in total.
Old year resolutions
- ✔ 05.02.2016: Sold my old vacuum cleaner
- ✔ 17.02.2016: Quit church
- ✔ 08.05.2016: Migrate Blog to Pelican
- ✔ 14.04.2016: Contact BSI, BKA, CCC and the car sellers and send them my paper in which I summarize current problems in car security. (Later, I found this. Coincidence?)
- ✔ 01.11.2016: I got rid of my old bed.
- ✔ 03.11.2016: I painted some walls in my appartment (not all, though).
I failed to get all my stuff from my father to my place. However, most of it is here now. Also, I didn't find new slippers.
Old year predictions
Machine Learning and Technology
- Networks will get deeper. Currently about 8 layers is usual; I expect this to get to over 30 layers.
Deep Residual Learning for Image Recognition has networks with over 1000 layers. ✔
- First hacks / funny results by people abusing the fact that machine learning is used will appear.
Twitter taught Microsoft’s AI chatbot to be a racist asshole in less than a day, /r/howhot ✔
- Machines will generate "high" resolution images of at least 256 × 256
StackGANs generate 256 px × 256 px images ✔
- Speech synthesis will fastly improve. To benchmark this, I will use the original quotation that explained the importance of towels is found in Chapter 3 of Adams' work The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. See Towel Day, Google Translate Recording, Festival Recording ✗
- ALPHABET INC. (C) (GOOGLE) shares at Frankfurt Stock Exchange will go up to
about 900 Euro sometime in the year (currently, it is at 690 Euro).
✗ It only went up to 760 Euro.
- Solar Roadways will make some tiny
✗ Very, very, tiny updates.
- One of my papers will get cited at least 5 times. ✗
- I will spend at least 2 weeks abroad.
Done: My trip to Corsica was a bit longer than 2 weeks. Then 10 days in Barcelona.
- I will publish at leat 40 articles on my blog.
Done: 53 articles.
- I will get a 90 days streak on GitHub (currently, my longest is
- I will get 15 000 points on StackExchange (see StackExchange profile)✔
- The European Union will
still exist and Britain will still be part of it
Correct (Yes, they voted for Brexit. But currently they are still part of the EU. And I doubt they will really quit the EU.)
- Donald Trump will be the republican candidate and Hillary Clinton the
I was right about this.
- The republican candidate will get president. Correct
- More mass shootings in the US and terrorist attacks all over the world will happen. Correct
- Grüne and SPD will still be in Baden-Württemberg (see Landtagswahl in Baden-Württemberg 2016).
False: Grüne and CDU.
New year resolutions
The plans for my new year are:
- [ ] Get all my stuff from my fathers apartment to my room. I've already packed most of it in boxes (In total: 1.00m (+0.30m?) × 0.39m × 0.60m by 4 boxes)
- [ ] Get new slippers
- [ ] Finish my masters degree
- [ ] Participate in a Flashmob
- [ ] Get comfortable with Orange Bouldering routes (5c-6c) and finish at least 5 harder ones (6c - 7b)
- [ ] Visit a country I haven't been to before.
I always do some cleanup before the new year begins. This means especially cleaning my computer stuff of unnecessary trash.
- ✔ Deleting several hundret E-mails.
- ✔ Clean up my smartphones TODO list.
- [ ] Clean up my notes.
- [ ] Clean up my Desktop / Download folder.
- [ ] Make Backup of Facebook (tutorial), Google+ and Gmail (takeout), Twitter (tutorial), WhatsApp (tutorial), Amazon, Banking.
- ✔ Push git stuff
Predictions for 2017
Machine Learning and Technology
- Networks will not get deeper (currently: about 600 layers, max 2000 layers), but work about how to get the same accuracy with less parameters / FLOPs will be written.
- GANs will be able to create 1024px x 1024px images.
- An AI will play Star Craft and at least one nice video of it will be online.
- I will publish at least two papers (one will be my masters thesis)
- I will finish my masters degree.
- I will publish at least 40 articles on my blog.
- I will get at least 20 000 points on StackOverflow (see StackExchange profile)
- The European Union will still exist and Britain will still be part of it, although somebody will be going in front of curt because of it (see Brexit).
- German elections: 35% for CDU/CSU, 18% for SPD, 15% for AfD, 9% for Grüne, 9% Linke.
- Trump will not build a complete wall to Mexico.